UCM DECA attends International Career Development Conference

UCM DECA, the collegiate chapter of DECA at the University of Central Missouri, recently attended the 2013 International Career Development Conference in Anaheim, California.
Of the 32 students attending, three UCM DECA members placed in three events. Curtis Hartley received first place overall in accounting; Matthew Barton and Jeff Mason placed second overall in sports and entertainment marketing; and Jess Gomez and Breanna Mahan placed third overall in advertising campaign.
In events listed as Business Simulations, those with the top exam scores and top role play scores are recognized separately from overall status. Steven Kelm was recognized for a top role play score in accounting, while Brett Williams was acknowledged for a top exam score in hotel and lodging. Curtis Hartley was recognized for both top role play and top exam scores in accounting, and Mackenzie Porter was recognized for top role play and top exam scores in fashion merchandising and marketing.
Seventeen competitors were recognized as finalists, with 14 advancing to the top 10 in their respective events. UCM’s students competed in 14 different events, as well as the annual Entrepreneurship Challenge. They also facilitated a workshop at the annual Advisor Academy.
Students were accompanied by Matt Houseworth, assistant professor of management.