Warrensburg Animal Shelter offers Barn Buddies program

The Warrensburg Animal Shelter announces the new Barn Buddies feral cat adoption program. This program will aid feral cats that cannot be rehabilitated into adoptable pets during the stray hold evaluation period by relocating them as an alternative to euthanasia.
Most feral cats are not adoptable and their appearance in animal shelters can stretch the limited resources meant for adoptable cats. The goal of the Barn Buddies program is to relocate the animals to rural areas and thereby reduce the instances of euthanasia.
The animal shelter will maintain a list of individuals residing outside the City limits who wish to adopt feral cats as “barn buddies” to control mice issues. These individuals will be contacted whenever a feral cat is available for adoption. At the individual’s request, shelter staff will remove their name from the Barn Buddies call list when they no longer wish to participate.
Feral cats in this program will be spayed or neutered, vaccinated against rabies and ear tipped but will not be chipped. Color and gender preferences of the cat are not offered. Adopters will be educated that they must still provide food and shelter for the feral cats.
The Warrensburg Animal Shelter is located at 37 SW 101 Road in Warrensburg. The hours of operation are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from noon to 5 p.m.; Wednesday from noon to 6 p.m.; and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. They are closed on Sunday and Monday.
For more information on the program or to be placed on the adoption call list, contact Animal Shelter Manager Sarah Jacob at 660-747-7156.