UCM to host cinematographer Alex Buono

The Professional Photography program in the School of Technology at the University of Central Missouri will join Canon in hosting professional photographer, cinematographer and filmmaker Alex Buono on the UCM campus Monday, Feb. 11.
Buono will speak at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. in Ward Edwards 2000, highlighting the features of the Canon 5D and 7D cameras and how they have revolutionized photography. The public is invited to attend, free of charge.
Buono has been director of photography for “Saturday Night Live” since 1999. He received an Academy Award nomination in 2003 for his short film “Johnny Flynton,” which he photographed and produced. He repeated the dual role of cinematographer and co-producer on “Green Street Hooligans,” starring Elijah Wood about London’s football gang subculture. The film won both the Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award at the 2005 South by Southwest Film Festival.
He also was the cinematographer for “Shanghai Kiss” starring Hayden Panettiere, which was shot in China, and he wrote, produced and shot the documentary film “Bigger Stronger Faster,” which premiered in competition at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
Buono will explain how Canon technology allows him to deliver a quality product in his role as director of photography for “Saturday Night Live.” His lecture will provide a comprehensive introduction to the HDSLR camera for photographers looking to break into video production or for the seasoned cinematographer seeking information on new technology.
Buono currently lives in California, where he writes, shoots and produces his own independent films. He is a member of the Writer’s Guild of America, the International Cinematographer’s Guild and the International Documentary Association.
For more information about UCM’s Professional Photography program, visit ucmo.edu/photography, or contact the School of Technology at 660-543-4439.