Black Students Take Action Against Racial Slur on Campus

Students+speak+with+UCM+President+Roger+Best+following+the+State+of+the+University+Address+about+a+racial+slur+being+written+on+the+free+speech+wall+set+up+by+the+American+Democracy+Project+on+Sept.+16.+

Photo by Trevor Martin

Students speak with UCM President Roger Best following the State of the University Address about a racial slur being written on the free speech wall set up by the American Democracy Project on Sept. 16.

Thursday, Sept. 16, some University of Central Missouri students saw a racial slur written on the free speech wall set up by the American Democracy Project.

According to the ADP, the free speech wall was set up Thursday at about 8:00 a.m. with the intent to provide a space for free speech on campus.

In response to the slur, the Association of Black Collegians organized black students and hosted a sit-in during the university president’s State of the University Address in the W.C. Morris Science Building Nahm Auditorium with the goal being to get his attention. During the president’s address, UCM President Roger Best updated the campus community on the current status and future direction of the university.

The students sat in the front row, attempting to get Best to notice and speak on the issue that happened that day. After the address, Best invited the students to have a discussion about the problems and frustrations students felt about what they witnessed that day.