Blogs from a quarantined college student: Week three

Monday, March 30th, 2020
A new routine
Classes started today, which was a bit of an adjustment. There’s a lot of things changing and I’m trying to adapt the best I can, but it’s all very overwhelming. Maybe it’s because I’m a freshman and not all the way settled into college (only to be thrusted into a brand new routine), but I think a lot of people are going through these exact same feelings.
I will say, I’m very thankful my sisters are here with me. They’re definitely keeping me sane and making sure I don’t dwell on my schoolwork too much. I think our daily watching of “The Office” is a great way to unwind for a while.
I’ve been listening to a ton of classical music as I work on schoolwork, which now gives me the crazy desire to learn how to play Frédéric Chopin’s Fantaisie-Improptu (for reference, I can barely play more than chords). It would be nice to enhance my piano skills and now is probably the best time to try.
Anyways, I hope you all are doing well, staying happy and healthy!
-Maddy

Tuesday, March 31st, 2020
A lot to do
You know that saying that goes “easy peasy lemon squeezy”? Well, I have a sticker on my computer that says “difficult difficult lemon difficult” instead. I put it there as a joke, but I think that it accurately describes my mood right now.
Online classes are not my cup of tea. Yeah, sure, maybe a couple online courses on top of my in-class lectures, but six online classes? Nope. Not for me. This is not fun.
I know I’ll figure it out. I’ll settle into a groove, a new routine will come around, and it’ll be fine. Right now? It’s a little crazy. My hypothesis that my laptop and planner would be my best friends was correct. I don’t know how I ever managed without a planner before.
This is a short blog for today. I hope you students are navigating and adjusting to online school well.
-Maddy

Wednesday, April 1st, 2020
A little update
I wish my anthropology exam tomorrow morning was a sick, twisted April Fool’s joke my professor was playing on us. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Sigh. A girl can dream, right?
Today, a “Stay at Home” order was issued for Johnson County, so I am officially confined to my home. My routine won’t change at all, but I figured I would merely state that the order happened on this day for the sake of the blogs (for continuity, y’know?).
In other news, I applied for a virtual internship with CommunityAmerica Credit Union today. It’s only for a little over a month, but it provides some really cool opportunities for those who are hired. I’m really interested in getting involved with them just to invest some of this pent up energy into something other than activities at home or schoolwork (basically, anything outside of my “normal” routine).
I’ll keep you guys updated if I ever hear back from them. I should know by April 7,, but maybe I’ll get something earlier than that. We’ll see!
-Maddy

Friday, April 3rd, 2020
The past couple days 🙂
I won’t lie, I’m sad I never had the chance to write yesterday. These blogs are actually a lot of fun to write and share with others, so I wish I could’ve gotten around to it. Here’s a short rundown of what happened Tuesday, April 2:
I helped my little sister build a giant blanket fort for her online school spirit week, got a 94/100 on my anthropology exam (yay grades!), Facetimed one of my very good friends, and was convinced to make a “Club Penguin” account (I blame my little sister). All in all, not a bad day. Not one bit 🙂
Today was also a good day! I did some schoolwork, made a study guide, and my sisters and I also painted an entire bedroom! My older sister has been wanting to do it for a while, so with all this extra time on our hands, we went for it! It looks amazing and I know all of us feel really accomplished (especially since we painted from 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m.).
These past couple of days have been really nice. Just writing about them makes me smile.
I hope you all are smiling and feeling good, too!
-Maddy 😀

Saturday, April 4th, 2020
Feeling good
Today I tried a new recipe! It’s an Indian dish called chicken tikka masala and my family likes it a lot. We typically get a pre-made sauce or take-out Indian food, but my mom and I found a recipe and decided to try it out! I also made homemade naan bread to go with it. Overall, it turned out really good! I’m looking forward to eating the small amount of leftovers we had left for lunch 😛
In other news, we finished painting the second coat of my sister’s room and it looks amazing! That was really cool and I felt super accomplished.
Today was a short little entry, but I wanted to write anyway! This has become very therapeutic and it’s so nice to have a time to reflect over my day. I recommend journaling to everyone reading this! It’s really nice.
-Maddy

Sunday, April 5th, 2020
Dreading exams
Getting outside and spending some time with family is the best, especially right now. I did some yard work, mowed the lawn, and dyed Easter eggs with my family. I’ve also gotten a lot of positive feedback from family and friends about my blogs, so that makes me feel really good about what I’m doing. I hope that everyone reading these enjoys them as much as I enjoy writing them.
And though I’ve had a good day today, I can’t help but dread my exams this week. I have American Literature tomorrow and Communication Theory on Thursday. Honestly, I wish the exams were earlier in the week so I didn’t have to think about them. Out of sight, out of mind, right? At least I was able to earn some extra credit points for American Lit, so that helps me worry a little less for my exam.
Wish me luck tomorrow! I hope you all have had a nice weekend!
-Maddy 🙂