Shoot your shot: SRWC hosts open archery event

The UCM Student Recreation and Wellness Center is hosting open archery nights from 8-10 p.m., on the last Friday of the month, until the end of the semester.
The open archery began during the 2020 spring semester on the last Friday of January.
No experience with a bow and arrow is necessary to participate. The certified instructors teach attendees basic bow and arrow safety, proper shooting form, and how to hit their target.
The archery nights are open to students as well as the public and are free of charge. Dan Plott, assistant director of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, said there are usually 20 to 25 participants, but he would like to see more.
In the past, members of the community brought their children of all ages to gain experience with a bow and arrow alongside University of Central Missouri students.
Colton Hosey, student employee at the recreation center and certified archery instructor, encourages students, families, friends, and Warrensburg community members to “come on down and do some shooting.”
There are multiple targets 10 to 12 feet away from the shooting line. The recreation center provides bows up to a 20 pound maximum, as well as arrows.
Attendees are able to shoot as many times as they please in the two hour time frame. Hosey says archery nights are a relaxed environment that are to be enjoyed by beginning shooters as well as experienced archers. Plott agrees.
“We wanted to give everyone the opportunity to come and try it out,” Plott says. “It’s a fun activity, a family activity, and I think it’s gone very well. We’re very excited about it.”