Valentine's Day to me

When it comes to Valentine’s Day, every woman is different.

In my opinion, a box of Russel Stover chocolates would do, or a card or a handwritten note. Maybe even a single rose, kind of like in “The Bachelor”. Whatever it is, it definitely has to be unique, just like the woman who’s receiving it.

Not everyone prefers the predictable box of chocolates and roses, though. Some may prefer a pan of their favorite cooked meal or a big plate of french fries with ketchup on the side. Little things like cookies or cupcakes would do, too; guys can never go wrong with giving their girl food.

But for those of you on a budget, a nice, inexpensive homemade meal or a card will do nicely.

The key is —  it’s the thought that counts. Girls want to know that the men in their lives care enough to put in the time and effort to make them happy. To show them that they pay attention and that they care about them, not the amount that is spent. Face-to-face compliments mean more to a girl than anything. The little things like remembering to say, “I love you,” or “How was your day,” and just listening can go a long way.

Some other important things to keep in mind when planning an eventful Valentine’s Day are her quirks. Like if she loves to read, read a book or magazine beside her. Ask her what her favorite book is, and if you already know, try reading it, and then discuss it with her. Or if she loves movies, try watching one of her favorites with her and staying indoors. You don’t have to go above and beyond to try and make her happy. She will love just you being there with her. Or if she only eats the middles out of bread (guilty) make her some homemade bread.

If your loved one has children or little people to take care of, try spending time with them. See what they like to do with their mother and offer to help out. She will love that you do this because moms need a break every now and then.

Chivalry never goes out of style, as well. Open the door for her, pull out the chair when she sits and push it back in for her. Listen to her favorite songs. Pay for the lady when you go out to eat. Or when you do go out to eat, order her favorite meal and try it. You may not like it, but at least you thought about trying something she likes.

I love to go on walks, so if your lady likes to exercise, offer to take a walk outside and be out in nature. And always be nice to her family. If you are nice to her family, she will think you are a family man. If not, she will wonder how that will affect your relationship years later.