A Quiet Place: A Great Horror Film

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – “A Quiet Place” is a movie I knew nothing about going into it, I only knew it was a horror/thriller. I’m glad I did end up watching this movie though, because I really like it.
Emily Blunt, known for “Sicario” and “Girl on a Train,” stars alongside her real-life husband, John Krasinski, best known as Jim from “The Office.” Together they play a mother and a father trying survive in a post-apocalyptic world with their young children. It’s worth noting that Krasinski has done plenty of other film work besides “The Office,” especially since he co-wrote and directed this film.
Is “A Quiet Place” actually scary? After all, most horror films being made at the moment are generic garbage. Well, I’m happy to confirm that “A Quiet Place” is an exception to that rule. This movie is scary, it scared me anyway.
Now describing the plot is something I’ll try not to do, because that would ruin the experience. Here’s the short version. In this future world, mysterious creatures are hunting humans. However, they are blind and can only track their prey through sound. In order to get by, people have to survive while making as little noise as possible. Simply by dropping your keys would be enough for the creatures to find and kill you.
Despite being a big studio picture, “A Quiet Place” has an almost arthouse movie feel to it. Because the characters can’t make much sound, they don’t talk much. And if they do, it’s usually through sign language. This may sound boring, but after watching for a while, you get used to it. Also, the film uses a minimalist style of story-telling. The names or backstories of the characters aren’t given, yet they are still good characters. Sometimes less is more when it comes to movies.
I’m not going to explain anymore details, this movie will be far more compelling if I don’t. Many famous horror films I’ve seen, such as “Halloween” or “Alien,” I wasn’t that scared by because they had been, unfortunately, spoiled for me beforehand. I found it very refreshing to watch a horror movie and have no idea what was going to happen.
If I had to describe this movie with one single word it would be this… intense. I was legitimately scared by this movie and I was practically on the edge of my seat, I’m not over exaggerating either. Granted, I don’t watch much horror. Despite having some scenes that are slow and thoughtful, don’t let that foul you. Sometimes you, the audience, don’t get a break from the suspense. Often, the characters avoid danger, just for it to come right back in five minutes. Even the ending credits are scary – how do you make the ending credits scary?