UCM campus notified of date rape drug incidents off campus

By LEAH WANKUM
Managing Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The University of Central Missouri sent out a campuswide alert Tuesday evening to students, faculty and staff concerning the possibility of drug-facilitated sexual assaults and individuals being drugged while consuming drinks off campus.
“Individuals reported symptoms consistent with drugs used to facilitate sexual assaults commonly referred to as date rape drugs. The drugs appear to have been added to drinks while at an off campus house and another incident at a local bar,” according to the safety alert email from the UCM News Bureau.
Scott Rhoad, director of the UCM Department of Public Safety, said he was involved in the collection of anonymous reports. He said he believes the reports came from multiple offices across campus.
“We want to make sure that students feel comfortable in going to those offices to make those reports or to pass along that information so that they know we’re not going to put it out there,” Rhoad said. “We want to encourage people to come forward.”
The campuswide email provided a list of measures for community members to protect themselves. Drugs such as Rohypnol, GHB, Ketamine and others can easily be slipped into an unsuspecting person’s drink. Symptoms include rapid and severe intoxication, dramatically reduced inhibitions and memory loss. People in this condition can be vulnerable to sexual assault, according to the email.
“To protect yourself, do not leave drinks unattended and be wary of accepting drinks from people you do not know well. Make sure that you open and pour your own drink and don’t share drinks with others. Also, use the buddy system while socializing. If a friend starts to exhibit symptoms of these drugs, seek medical help immediately. Signs to look for include dizziness and/or nausea, memory loss, breathing or motion difficulties and acting disproportionately intoxicated relative to the amount of alcohol consumed,” according to the email.
Anyone who believes they or a friend have been the victim of these drugs are urged to contact Public Safety at 660-543-4123; in person at 306 Broad St.; or anonymously at ucmo.edu/crime.
“The university as a whole always responds to reports in a proactive manner to ensure the wellness and safety of all our students, faculty and staff, and visitors to campus to make sure they’re as informed as possible of any situations that may affect their safety,” Rhoad said.
For details on other reporting options, visit ucmo.edu/titleix or these offices:

• Counseling Center
    Humphreys 131
    Phone: 660-543-4060
    Hours: 8 a.m. to noon, 1-5 p.m.; Summer hours: 7:30 a.m. to noon, 1-4:30 p.m.
  • University Health Center
    600 S. College Ave.
    Phone: 660-543-4770
  • Violence & Substance Abuse Prevention
    Administration Building 102
    Phone: 660-543-4044
  • Mentoring, Advocacy and Peer Support
    Administration 196
    Phone: 660-543-4156
  • 24-Hour Confidential Hotline: 660-441-4855