Man makes off with cash from UMB Bank

By LEAH WANKUM
Managing Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Warrensburg Police Department is investigating the theft of money that occurred Friday afternoon at UMB Bank in downtown Warrensburg.

PHOTO FROM UMB BANK VIDEO SURVEILLANCE A white male in his mid-20s and wearing dark clothing and a brown baseball cap is the primary suspect in the UMB bank robbery Thursday afternoon in downtown Warrensburg.
PHOTOS FROM UMB BANK VIDEO SURVEILLANCE A white male in his mid-20s and wearing dark clothing and a brown baseball cap is the primary suspect in the UMB Bank robbery Friday afternoon in downtown Warrensburg.

Police don’t have a suspect in custody yet, but video surveillance inside the bank captured a white man in street clothing enter the Holden Street entrance of the bank at 1:52 p.m. He was apparently unarmed, according to Tim Lowry, acting chief of police.
Lowry said the suspect is a white man in his mid-20s, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall, between 200 and 250 pounds, wearing a black T-shirt, dark pants and a light brown baseball cap.
Lowry said the bank alarm was activated at 1:52 p.m. and, shortly after, the police received a phone call from bank staff notifying them of the theft.
“The individual had come into the bank on foot, walked up to the bank teller, slid the bank teller a note that demanded money,” Lowry said. “He did not show any type of weapon. The bank teller then handed over the money that she had.”
The UMB Bank robbery suspect is shown on the bank's video surveillance.
UMB bank robbery suspect

Lowry said he did not know how much money the man took, but he appeared to look through the money and threw part of it down in the foyer area before exiting the same way he entered.
Lowry said no customers were in the bank at the time of the theft. He said he did not know how many bank staff were inside at the time. No injuries or damages to the bank were reported.
“He grabbed the note, took the money and left the bank at that time,” Lowry said.
Lowry said it appears that the suspect acted alone.
“When he left, he said, ‘Sorry,’ and ‘Thank you,’” Lowry said.
He said the bank teller did a great job handling the situation.
“Of course, I think anytime you experience something like this, your nerves are going to be shaken a little bit,” he said.
Lowry said the WPD is working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation on the case. Anyone with information related to the bank robbery can contact the Warrensburg Police Department at 660-747-9133.