PAS Fanfare Series Debuts with Performance by Hynes and Wenger

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The University of Central Missouri’s Performing Arts Series and the UCM Department of Music present the first performance in the new PAS Fanfare Series, “The French Connection: Virtuoso Works for Trumpet and Piano,” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, in Hart Recital Hall, according to a press release.
Two of UCM’s music faculty and most celebrated performers, Mia Hynes and Alan Wenger, explore the French and American connection in solo works for trumpet and piano. The first half of the program will feature French composers whose compositions have an American influence, while the second half will showcase two works by American composers that were influenced by the French style. The varied program will include works by composers George Antheil, Robert Russell Bennett, Jacques Ibert, Andre Jolivet, and F. Guy Ropartz.

Mia Hynes
Mia Hynes

A native of Bloomington, Ind., Hynes made her professional debut with the Indianapolis Symphony at age 12. She has since performed as soloist and chamber musician throughout the United States and beyond, including appearances at the Chautauqua Music Festival in New York, the Rocky Ridge Music Festival in Colorado, the Library of Congress Coolidge Recital Series, the Dag Hammerskjold Library at the United Nations, the Summerfest Chamber Music Festival in Kansas City and Steinway Hall in New York.
Hynes has performed on National Public Radio’s “Performance Today” with violinist Scott Yoo, and together they premiered works by American composers Donald Sur and Paul Barsom. She also has performed with Sam Pilafian, founding member of Empire Brass; David Halen, concertmaster of the St. Louis Symphony; Daniel Lee, principal cellist of the St. Louis Symphony; Gary Schutza, principal trumpet of the Kansas City Symphony, and Mary Ann Hart, mezzo-soprano and head of the Voice/Opera Department of Indiana University Jacobs School of Music. She also makes frequent recital appearances with members of the Kansas City Symphony.
She recently presented lectures and/or masterclasses at the European Piano Teachers Convention in Novi Sad, Serbia; Elmhurst College; Texas Women’s University; the Austin Music Teachers Association; and the Kansas City Federated Teachers of Music and Fine Arts.
Hynes received the Doctor of Musical Arts in Piano Performance and Literature degree from the Eastman School of Music and Bachelor and Master of Music degrees from Indiana University. She joined the UCM faculty in 1996, where she is currently professor of piano and piano pedagogy and director of the Community Music Program. She was the director of the Warrensburg Area Youth Symphony from 1997-2002, and is a past state president of the Missouri Federation of Music Clubs.
Wenger joined the UCM music faculty 2003 and is associate professor of trumpet. He earned a Bachelor of Music degree in Trumpet Performance from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and completed graduate studies at Boston University and a Master of Music and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees in Trumpet Performance at the University of North Texas.
Alan Wenger
Alan Wenger

He has performed with the Fountain City Brass Band in Kansas City, as a member and a frequent sub with the Kansas City Symphony, and as a member of the Amarillo, Texas, Symphony and Opera orchestras, the Lincoln, Neb., Symphony Orchestra, and the Nebraska Chamber Orchestra.
He has toured with the Empire Brass, Bluebonnet Brass, Nebraska Brass and Kansas Brass Quintet, as well as the Four Tops, Manheim Steamroller, Lou Rawls, the Temptations, Tommy Tune and the Manhattan Rhythm Kings, contemporary Christian artists Michael W Smith and Ken Medema, and the Nebraska Jazz Orchestra and Boulevard Big Band.
Wenger has presented clinics in public schools and at the Missouri Music Educators Conference. Most recently, his trumpet ensemble at UCM was selected to perform at the 2013 ITG conference in Grand Rapids, Mich., where they premiered new works by composers Eric Honour and David Shipps.
Tickets are available at the PAS box office, Administration 100, by calling 660-543-8888, or online at ucmpas.com. Tickets also will be available in one hour in advance of the performance outside Hart Recital Hall. Admission is $3 for K-12 and UCM students and $7 for the public.