Assistant chief gets the nod to lead the department

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – A veteran Warrensburg firefighter is the city’s new fire chief.
Jim Kushner, former assistant fire chief, was named chief effective Wednesday, according to a news release.
The city conducted a national search and 29 people applied for the job, a list that was narrowed to seven.
Kushner has worked for the Warrensburg Fire Department for more than 30 years, including the last three years as assistant fire chief.
“I am honored to continue my service to the Warrensburg community and look forward to taking the fire department into the future,” Kushner said in the news release. “The department has grown tremendously under the supervision of Phil Johnston. It has been a pleasure working alongside him for the past nine years. He will be greatly missed – his humor, his knowledge and overall guidance. I have some big shoes to fill.”
City Manager Paula Hertwig Hopkins said she was gratified that Kushner came out on top among all of the applicants.
“Our residents should take comfort in knowing that the Warrensburg Fire Department can only get better under the tutelage of such an experienced and highly-regarded leader in the fire and rescue field,” she said.
For more information, contact Human Resources at 660-747-9131 or visit www.warrensburg-mo.com.