Council approves resolution of support for senior housing project

By ALEXANDRA LAMBDIN
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – People 55 and older may soon have an inexpensive option for housing as a developer plans to build an apartment complex for seniors on the north side of the city.
The Missouri Valley Community Action Agency and developer Ken Hamilton, of Hamilton Properties Corporation in Springfield, Mo., are planning to develop an apartment complex with 36 apartments on a lot in the Hawthorne development behind Wal-Mart.
The plan is to develop 28 affordable units and eight market rate units. Each unit will contain two bedrooms, a washer and dryer and a patio located at the front and rear entry to the apartment.
The project will also include a community building with a kitchenette and a larger room for social gatherings.
Seniors must qualify for this independent-living housing based on their income.
Hamilton purchased the lot in April during a sheriff’s sale at the Hawthorne.
The City Council read a resolution of support for the project Monday. Hamilton and the MVCAA sought the city’s support before seeking state tax breaks to help finance the project.
Projects compete for attention from the state for financial aid, specifically the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program.
“It is a very competitive program at the state level,” Barbara Carroll, director of community development.
Carroll said the project is a good thing for the city.
“There are people who live in our community already who need this price range,” she said. “This fits a gap we have. Once you’re on a fixed, or slightly fixed income, keeping your housing portion of your budget as small as you can is important because all sorts of other things become expensive.”
If the project receives enough funds, the developer plans to submit final construction documents with the city sometime next spring. If the project does not receive state assistance, the developer might reapply next year.