PR majors practice profession on campus

Story by SHELBY FLYNN, for The Muleskinner—
For public relations majors, there is an opportunity to gain experience in their desired profession while they are still in school.
The Innovative PR firm on the University of Central Missouri campus is a student-led organization housed in University Relations, dedicated to creating full PR campaigns for organizations and departments on campus.
A great deal of the work involved in IPR is hands-on, having students work with actual clients who are in need of exposure.
“We have goals as a firm, but we also have goals for each of our clients,” said account coordinator Nicole Cooke. “As a firm, we try to give students a professional experience to add to their portfolios and to help prepare them for a career in PR, with the convenience of being on campus. As for our clients, that varies depending on the client.”
Danielle Myers, the graduate assistant and manager of IPR, said the group only deals with clients on campus, but hopes to eventually branch out to Warrensburg businesses and surrounding communities.
In order to expand its client base, IPR recently launched a new website. Since IPR was started in January 2010, it hasn’t had a dedicated website outside of the UCM site.
“Having our own website really enhances the professional presence of the student PR firm. We thought it would be great to have our own space online to show who’s working in IPR this semester and give a little overview about them,” Myers said. “When most people hear about IPR, they don’t really understand the concept. A lot of colleges don’t even have a student PR firm, so for UCM to have a student PR firm really makes the PR program a lot more interesting to perspective students.”
The website showcases those working for IPR, as well as alumni and previous and current work the firm has produced.
Myers said there are nine students working at IPR, including herself, but they are open to more willing participants. Being in IPR is not mandatory for those in the PR program, however, it is highly recommended to apply for a position in the firm.
“You get to work right on campus with your PR peers, as well as students and employees of UCM, and you gain a lot of knowledge and materials for your portfolio,” Cooke said. “It’s also a lot of fun.”
IPR launched a campaign this semester for their client, Christian Campus House. The campaign was for an event called Something to Eat, a meal packaging program to help feed hungry people all around the world.
Another client for IPR this semester was Earth Day 365, the university’s week-long Earth Day celebration.
Various activities, such as the Haute Trash fashion show, a luncheon with organic and sustainable recipes served and yoga on the president’s lawn were included on a long list of festivities.
This past semester, IPR won the top honor for Total PR Program at the 28th annual Educational Advertising Awards, sponsored by Higher Education Marketing Report.
IPR received this award for the promotional campaign they created for the 2012 Show Me Justice Film Festival. Three IPR students worked with University Relations staff members and the department of communication and sociology to coordinate an advertising plan.
Their objective was to reach out to relative audiences through social media, news releases and distribution of print material.
“This was an outstanding collaboration between professional staff members, IPR students and faculty members in the department of communication and sociology,” said Jeff Murphy, assistant director of University Relations/Media Relations and the co-supervisor for IPR. “IPR did a wonderful job planning and executing the promotional campaign, and student members were visible at many of the film festival events. I think it was a great learning experience for them, and it’s good to see the university being recognized for something in which they made such a significant contribution.”
For more information on IPR, visit ucminnovativepr.com or contact Myers at [email protected].