Best Highlights University Accomplishments and Goals

Photo by Trevor Martin

UCM President Roger Best speaks at the State of the University Address on Sept. 16 at the W.C. Morris Science Building Nahm Auditorium.

On Thursday, Sept. 16, Roger Best, University of Central Missouri president, addressed the state of the university in areas ranging from infrastructure improvements, budgetary and fiscal year forecasts, future campus investments and additional benefits for full-time faculty. 

“The Board of Governors has approved our recommendations to invest an additional $1.8 million in three separate projects including the Wood ceiling and lighting project, W.C. Morris window replacement project and a transformative music program recording studio that’s going to be housed in the Wood building,” Best said. 

Additionally, Best said that for the remainder of the year, there are additional strategic investments that are being made to directly impact students, staff and faculty. Funds are being made available from the UCM Foundation, state received capital funds and the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund.

“In the last two years, we’ve expended $5.2 million in Federal, State and University funds to address deferred maintenance in our fiscal plant, and for other campus improvements,” Best said.  

Furthermore, Best announced that an additional $22.1 million will be used to complete classroom renovations and other new construction projects on the Warrensburg campus.

“We must make investments in our classrooms, grounds, buildings and facilities to ensure that our physical appearance of our campus matches the exceptional quality of our programs and university experience that we offer,” Best said. 

Another announcement Best made during his address included detailed enrollment data that supported the several awards UCM had won for regional enrollment considerations.

“The University of Central Missouri was the only institution out of 47 colleges and universities from Missouri and our region to experience enrollment gains this fall across three segments: first-time freshmen, transfer and international students,” Best said.  

In result of likely achieving the full amount in state appropriations for this fiscal year, Best announced the approved budget for this year includes a pay raise scenario for full-time faculty. 

“Effective January 1, each full-time employee’s salary will be increased by $1,040 or one percent, whichever comes first.”  

Although Best explained he would like the increase to be more, he said that the university is focusing on ways to further compensate UCM’s full-time faculty. 

Amanda Dalton, a fourth-year UCM student and active participant in student organizations, said she would like to see funding used in more ways to directly impact students.

“I think the address was much needed. I feel that the amount of revenue that comes in does not add up to the amount that the student organizations on campus should receive,” Dalton said.  

Dalton said she still isn’t fully convinced about improvements being made to campus. 

“This is my fourth year on campus, and each year I hear about all of the potential changes that are happening to buildings and classrooms, but I have yet to be in a classroom that has been fixed,” Dalton said.  

David Pearce, UCM executive director for governmental relations, said he was happy with the progress of the university despite the setbacks from the pandemic.

“The address pointed out our accomplishments from last year while laying out a blueprint for the upcoming year. It really helps all of us have a responsibility for the success of the university,” Pearce said.

Pearce said collective responsibility is important in the university environment because of its impact on the university as a whole. He continued to explain how each individual contribution to the institution is integral to normal operation.

“Every piece is important,” Pearce said. “Even taking out one piece makes it obvious that something is missing.”