Jennies Fall to Missouri Western for First Conference Loss

The UCM Jennies (18-4, 12-1 in MIAA) fell to the Missouri Western Griffons 67-57 on Saturday, Feb. 8 in St. Joseph. This was the Jennies first conference loss of the season and snaps their 15-game winning streak. 
After UCM’s Megan Skaggs scored the first points of the game, Missouri Western went on a 19-0 scoring run. This run ended in the last two minutes of the first quarter with baskets from Ellisha Davis and Nija Collier. After one quarter of play, the Jennies trailed 19-6. The Jennies gained some momentum in the second quarter cutting their deficit to 31-18, until the Griffons extended their lead back out to 38-18. Collier scored seven points in the final minutes, but the Jennies trailed 38-25 at halftime. 
The Jennies were never able to cut into their deficit as they trailed after the third quarter 54-39. UCM start to come back in the fourth quarter, cutting the Missouri Western lead to 56-49 until the Griffons hit four free throws in the final 90 second of play to end the chance of a Jennie’s comeback. Missouri Western went on to win 67-57. 
Collier led the Jennies offense with 20 points and added nine rebounds, two blocks and two steals. Skaggs finished with 17 points. Morgan Fleming recorded five points, five assists and three blocks. Davis and Gigi McAtee each added six points.