Legendary pianist – and his piano – come to UCM

Pianist Vladimir Horowitz plays his piano, CD 503, which he’s taken with him to every performance. (Photo submitted by the Office of Integrated Marketing and Communications)

The University of Central Missouri School of Visual and Performing Arts presents “Steinway Legends: From Tatum to Tomorrow,: an interactive concert featuring pianist Vladimir Horowitz as well as live performance recordings on the Spirio | r, according to a news release.
The concert will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Hart Recital Hall in the Utt Music Building.
Horowitz will be performing on the Spirio | r as well as his own piano, “CD 503,” which has travelled with him to every concert he’s played, being removed from his New York townhouse by crane and then transported, according to the news release.
Both pianos will be played by UCM faculty Albert Kim, assistant professor of music, and Mia Hynes, professor of music, and students Abigail Terrill, Colin Levins and Tanner Henley. Additionally, UCM Music Assistant Chair Eric Honour will give an electroacoustic demonstration, according to the news release.
The concert is free and the public is welcome. Audience members will be able to use the instruments. Photographs can be taken and certificates of participation will be given out, according to the release.