Jennies golf continues strong start, sets new team record

For the second time in three weeks, the UCM Jennies golf team established a team record when they shot an 11-over-par 587 to win the MIAA Fall Preview Wednesday in Axtell, Nebraska. The previous 36-hole mark of 602 was posted Sept. 3-4 at the Central Region Preview.
The Jennies fired a 296 in round one and a 291 on day two (a team record for 18 holes), marking only the fifth and sixth times in team history the Jennies completed a round with a score below 300.  
“We played well,” head coach Chris Port said. “We’re getting contributions from everyone. Our five hole has scored in four events, which is a big improvement.”
Rosie Klausner tied for third in the tournament to lead the Jennies. She shot a career-low even-par 144 with 10 birdies and an eagle. Elizabeth Leath, Macie Myers and Molly Saporito tied for 11th, each with a 150 (and each with a 74-76 in the two rounds). Olivia Sobaski struggled on day one with a 15-over 87.  But she found her stroke on the second day to fire a 3-under 69 to climb into a tie for 26th.
Port was understandably pleased with his team’s effort.
“Rosie is playing well,” Port said. “She has a first (place finish) and a third this year.  Libby and Molly have been super steady. Olivia, I think, would be the first to say she didn’t play well on day one, but she battled.”
The Jennies are back in action Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at the University of Central Oklahoma Classic at the Golf Club of Edmond.