Update: Jennies sweep Bearcats in midweek softball doubleheader

Jennies softball picked up their 30th and 31st wins of the season Tuesday in a doubleheader sweep of Northwest Missouri State. The Jennies won game one 10-9 and game two 10-4.

The Jennies fell behind early in game one after the Bearcats tallied four runs in the third inning followed by single runs in the fourth and fifth. A three-run fifth inning fueled by run-scoring hits from Mackenzie McAtee and center fielder Lauryn Deer cut the deficit to 6-3.

McAtee hit her fifth home run of the season to pull the Jennies within one in the sixth inning. The Jennies tacked on two more in the sixth to lead 7-6. Northwest responded with a three-run inning of its own to take the lead back to 9-7. McAtee picked up her third and fourth RBIs of the game on a single that tied the game, then advanced to score the go-ahead run on an error. Alexa Bradley pitched the final inning, allowing one baserunner before sitting down the next three to earn her 11th win of the season.

Both teams were relatively quiet through the first five innings of game two with the Jennies holding a 3-2 lead. The Jennies went to work in the sixth inning with two two-run home runs off the bats of second baseman Alexis Koop and shortstop Kaitlyn Markin. Three more runs scored in the sixth for the Jennies to give them a 10-3 lead. Northwest tacked one on the bottom of the seventh before bowing out.

Deer picked up four hits between the two games and is hitting .356 on the season. McAtee went 4/6 in the doubleheader and has raised her season average to .311.

The remaining four games in the regular season for the Jennies are all scheduled for home at the South Recreational Complex. Friday, the Jennies will host Lincoln in a doubleheader with first pitch of game one scheduled for 3 p.m. with game two following at 5 p.m.

The Jennies final series of the season is against Lindenwood and will also celebrate six seniors in their final home games. Game one is scheduled to begin at noon Saturday with game two following at 2 p.m.