UCM is going to the dogs

Furry friends with wagging tails will be finding their way to the Elliott Student Union Mall in support of THRIVE.

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, students can pet, play with and love on dogs during the event organized by the student-led group Innovative Public Relations.

This group worked with the Union Cinema as its client for the semester and  another groupd worked with the Mule Post to help promote the organizations.

Amanda Ferrin, senior public relations student, said the client typically has a goal in mind.

“For the cinema, they wanted to bring more people to watch movies,” Ferrin said.

The IPR group then had to decide what movies they could create unique events for to get students out and draw attention to the cinema.

Ferrin said they chose “A Dog’s Way Home” because a lot of people like dogs.

The group is encouraging students to make a donation but it is not mandatory in order to interact with the dogs.

Donations will go toward THRIVE, a two-year on-campus program that helps “prepare students with disabilities to transition to independent living and find employment that fits their individual goals and abilities,” according to THRIVE website.

Ferrin said donors will get one ticket for the movie and get entered in a drawing for Central Cash prizes, which can be used anywhere on campus.

Drawing winners will be announced before the 7 p.m. show for “A Dog’s Way Home” Thursday, according to the press release.

“I like the Union Cinema because it’s a small theater, an intimate experience,” Ferrin said. “The seats are really nice and I like it way more than the regular theater (in town).”

Students looking for alternative showtimes can attend showings of “A Dog’s Way Home” at 7 and 9:30 p.m. Friday-Sunday.