‘Godspell’ musical preaches togetherness

(Photo by Jason Brown/ Managing Editor) The “Godspell” cast rehearses the musical number “Bless the Lord” Tuesday in the Highlander Theater

The UCM Department of Theater and Dance will be performing “Godspell,” a musical production about the book of Matthew that preaches a message of community.

The production is scheduled to run from April 3 to 7 in the Highlander Theater. The play will start at 7:30 p.m on April 3-6, and 2 p.m. on April 7.

Mary Trotter, professor of theater and dance, is the director of “Godspell.” She said this is a fun play to see, and one that teaches a lot about being in a community.

“It takes a lot of parables and sort of uses them in a overarching storytelling way, just about being human beings in a community,” Trotter said. “The message of ‘Godspell’ is about building community, which is something that I think we need now more than ever.”

“Godspell” is the story around a group of people who help Jesus tell different parables through games, storytelling techniques and comic timing, according to the press release.

Through pop-style music, the play tells the story of Jesus’ message of kindness and tolerance, according to the release.

Trotter said even though this play has a strong religious theme, everyone is able to watch and enjoy the play.

“It’s about so much more than that (religion),” she said. “It’s really for everyone, regardless of your background, regardless of your stance on issues. It’s a fun musical way for everyone to come together as a community.”

Trotter said the play runs for about an hour and a half.

“I think people should come see it because it’s just a really great way to get in touch with our community and to have a really great time,” Trotter said.

Tickets are $7 for students, $12 for UCM faculty and staff and $15 for the general public. Tickets can be purchased online at ucmo.edu/theatretickets, by calling 660-543-8811 or at the box office in the Highlander Theater between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. beginning Wednesday.