Fashion Business Association hosts vintage fashion show

[metaslider id=39011]By Aneliese Peeler and Katlin Younts
The Fashion Business Association at UCM recently took the Warrensburg community back in time with a runway show that displayed how fashion has changed throughout the years, from the 1920s to the 1980s.
Around 50 people attended the Vintage Vibes Fashion Show in the downstairs ballroom at Players Restaurant on Wednesday, Nov. 14.
Proceeds from ticket sales for the fashion show benefitted Project Community Connect, a program that connects people in need with different resources from clothing to food to housing.
The event raised $150 for Project Community Connect.
FBA member Eriona Cook said the outfits came from the fashion department’s History Costume Collection.
“We wanted to do something vintage and retro,” said Cook, a sophomore fashion major. “The biggest challenge we had to face was finding models as well as finding clothing that was in their sizes and also making sure everyone was on time and where they needed to be.”
The show gave UCM’s fashion department a chance to modernize popular clothing from the major eras in fashion.
“I personally love old school as a style,” Cook said. “I love how we’re trying to modernize it in the show. I don’t think it should be any other way.”
Haley Diel, sophomore nursing major, was asked to model by Elizabeth Fleer, a fashion major and member of the Ladies Inspiring Versatility club.
LIV is a student organization at UCM that encourages women to be themselves and support one another.
“She asked us LIV girls if we either wanted to model or help out with hair and makeup, and she
got a total of six of us to help,” said Diel, who modeled the 1920s look.
Diel said she enjoyed seeing the different eras in the fashion show because they’re not thought of in day-to-day fashion.
“I think it’s nice to live in the past a little bit,” Diel said.
Maria Burns, junior communication studies major, said she thought the show was cute and liked how it was organized by students.
“They had a really nice twist on the pieces that they were working with to make it modern,” Burns said.
Retro music played during each era as the models walked the stage. Burns said she liked how the fashion show matched the music with each decade. She said that added a nice touch to the performance.
“Overall, it was a really well put-together show and I really enjoyed myself,” she said.

View Comments (2)