Update: Jennies begin conference play

Senior guard Paige Redmond leads the Jennies with 16.3 points per game. She has surpassed 25 points on two occasions this season, including a season-high 27 against St. Marys. (Photo by Jason Brown/Sports Editor)

No. 7 Jennies basketball will open its conference schedule Thursday against the Southwest Baptist Bearcats.
The Jennies spent the Thanksgiving weekend in San Antonio playing in the St. Mary’s Thanksgiving Classic. St. Mary’s handed the Jennies their first loss of the season Friday in a 101-97 double overtime thriller. The Jennies were able to bounce back the next day in an anticipated Elite Eight rematch against then-No. 10 Lubbock Christian, defeating the Lady Chaps 67-62.
Junior forward Morgan Fleming scored a career-high 33 points in the loss to St. Marys. Senior Sydney Crockett posted a season-high 17 points in the loss. Junior forward Megan Skaggs led the Jennies in the win against Lubbock Christian scoring 23 points.
Through three games, the Jennies have three scorers averaging over 15 points per game. To no surprise, senior guard Paige Redmond leads the way with 16.3 points per game. Fleming is behind her with 16.2, followed by Skaggs with 15.7.
The Jennies open conference play in the MIAA on the road against the Bearcats, followed by another road matchup Dec. 8 against Washburn. Tip between the Jennies and Southwest Baptist is scheduled 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Bolivar, Missouri.