Turnout for Healthy Sexuality and Relationship Fair more than doubles in second year

Joyce Chang, child and family development professor, delivers her presentation “UCM Technology and Sexuality” at the Healthy Sexuality and Relationship Fair Oct. 2 in the ballroom of the Elliott Student Union.

For the second year, the Elliott Student Union held the Healthy Sexuality & Relationship Fair on Oct. 2 to advocate safe sex, discuss different sexualities and sexual assault prevention. An estimated 466 people attended this year, up from 201 in 2017.  
April Roller, sexual assault victim advocate for Survival House Adult Abuse Center, worked with UCM’s Campus Community Health and the Title IX Advocacy Office last year to create the fair. Roller said the goal of the fair is to combat the abstinence-only sex education approach that schools take in the Midwest.
The Union was lined with tables for seven hours filled with informational pamphlets, free prophylactics and interactive activities, giving attendees as much sexuality-related information as possible. Each table was run by various campus organizations and offered information on topics ranging from self defense classes held by Public Safety to a table hosted by Green Dot that had information regarding what one should do in the event of a sexually-charged confrontation.
Throughout the day, speakers presented on subjects related to sexuality in the ballroom. Keynote speakers included James Moran from the Kansas City Anti-Violence Project with his presentation, “LGBTQ Sexuality;” child and family development professor Joyce Chang’s presentation, “Technology and Sexuality;” and Shanna Dancy from Survival House Adult Abuse Center presented “Self-care After Trauma.”
The ballroom also held roundtable discussions with nine different topics led by sexuality advocates from around the state. Each discussion encouraged participants to talk about subjects that are often difficult to discuss.
After Chang’s presentation, a “Let’s Talk” session over healthy relationships led by graduate assistant Haydee Reyes was held at Café Rouge in the Union.
Roller concluded the fair by thanking all the participants and attendees and encouraged everyone to attend next year’s event.
Next year’s Health Sexuality Fair will be held on October 1, 2019. For more information contact Roller at [email protected].
Editor’s note: A previous version of this story gave the incorrect date for next year’s event. This version of the story has been corrected to include the correct date.

View Comments (1)