Campus community confronted by proselytizers in front of Union

Jeff Mullen has an exchange with a passing student Tuesday in front of the east entrance of the Elliott Student Union. Mullen and his wife, Pam, were on campus to warn the campus community about the wages of its sin and to warn about the perils of hell. “(We were sent by) the Lord,” Pam said. “We go where he sends us.” (Photo by Chris Holmberg/Managing Editor)

“You’re a hypocrite!”
Members of the campus community passing in front of the east entrance of the Elliott Student Union on Tuesday got an earful from Jeff and Pam Mullen. Some people stopped to engage the Mullens. Others walked by the growing spectacle. All were targeted by the message that hell was real and they were probably going there.
Some students were drawn in by what they believed to be a Christian message only to find they were now facing public accusations of religious hypocrisy.
Darius Lark, a freshman electronics engineering major, said he was shocked at what he came across after leaving the Ward Edwards Building. He said he saw one side of a sign they were displaying with the message “Jesus Saves.” When he got closer, the sign had been flipped to display a picture of what was presumably an aborted fetus.
“I think he’s insane,” Lark said. “I really do. If you want to get your word out, I’m all for it. But don’t come after people, especially teenagers.”
Lark said the whole experience was unreal to him.
“Top 10 most crazy thing,” Lark said. “Only seen this type of stuff in movies.”
Pam Mullen said they were compelled to come to the UCM campus by God.
“The Lord; we go where he sends us,” she said.
Within an hour of the couple being on campus, someone called the police. A Public Safety officer responded to monitor the event. The officer said the couple legally had the right to speak on campus as long as they weren’t inhibitive or disruptive of ordinary campus activities.