UCM Dance Club: All levels welcome

Alyssa Jenkins, far right, leads a tap dancing number to “River” by Bishop Briggs. (Photo by Peter Spexarth/ For the Muleskinner)

The University of Central Missouri has a dance club going on its seventh year of offering lessons, hosting performances and giving students a creative outlet.

A group of students started the club in 2011 as a way to socialize and continues to be student lead.

“A group of students approached me about wanting to create a student organization where they could come together and just dance once a week, have a fun time together and offer community building on campus,” Ashley Miller-Scully, adviser for the club and associate professor of dance, said.

Alyssa Jenkins, senior fashion merchandising major, has served as the president of the club for the past two years.

“I’ve been dancing my whole life, since I was 3,” she said. “I knew that I wanted to get into dancing somehow because, obviously, I want to keep it in my life.”

Jenkins transferred to UCM three years ago and heard about UCM’s dance minor, then eventually found out about the dance club. She said they have always been welcoming to everyone.

“It’s open to any skill level. People that have never danced before are in there alongside people who have been dancing all their lives,” Miller-Scully said. “It’s a no-pressure situation. It’s a fun, one-hour class a week.”

Each week is different from the last.

“It’s not just us executive members teaching every week. We want to change it up, have variety,” Jenkins said. “We have dance club members or guest artists come in and teach different styles of dance.”

Miller-Scully said they are bringing in a hip-hop and musical theater teacher this year from Kansas City.

Because Kansas City is so close, the club gets to travel to K.C. and work with teachers there.

“We’re actually going to Kansas City for an aerial class,” Miller-Scully said. “They got funding to do that.”

The club also went to Kansas City Dance Day at The Kansas City Ballet in late August. This was an opportunity for the club to take free classes from professionals and see performances in all different styles of dance.

Not only do they meet once a week, they attend workshops and performances and host shows in the community.

“They are responsible for putting on Dancing with the Professors every spring,” Miller-Scully said. “They do that big fundraiser and that money goes toward taking people to College of Dance Association every spring.”

Jenkins said the Dance Club members have a tight bond. She said she has gained friendships she didn’t think she would make.

“I’ve literally made family members here. Two of the girls on executive board are in my bridal party,” Jenkins said. “Definitely come in for sure because we accept all levels. We love having that diversity because that’s what it’s all about. We don’t want everyone to be the same. We want everyone to have their own diverse qualities.”

Dance Club meets 3:30–4:30 p.m. every Monday in Wood 108. It’s free the first time and a one-time $5 fee for the rest of the semester.