Jennies drop final match of homestand

Sophomore Ally Offerdahl sets up senior Kylie Hohlen in the Jennies 3-0 sweep of Emporia State Friday at the Multipurpose Building. (Photo by Peter Spexarth/For the Muleskinner)

After over three weeks and nine matches on the road, Jennies volleyball returned to the Multipurpose Building last week for three matches against MIAA opponents.
Central Missouri is currently ranked 17th in the AVCA coaches poll following a 6-3 road trip that saw the Jennies compete against top-5 teams in Concordia-St. Paul and Lewis. The Jennies came into Tuesday after being swept by Northwest Missouri State for their first conference loss.
The Jennies began the three-game homestand with 3-0 sweeps of Lindenwood on Tuesday and Emporia State on Friday. Despite sweeping Emporia State, the Jennies played through long rallies combining with the Hornets for 165 digs in the 3-set match.
“It’s so much fun to be back home,” junior Abby Skrastins said. “I love the atmosphere and it’s just so comfortable.

Photo by Peter Spexarth/For the Muleskinner

Junior Abby Skrastins serves to the Washburn defense in the Jennies 3-1 loss to the Ichabods Saturday at the Multipurpose Building.

The final match of the homestand saw Washburn stun the Jennies 3-1 Saturday.
The first set featured 10 ties and seven lead changes with the Jennies eventually falling 25-22. With a 19-18 lead, Washburn took advantage of a Jennies ball handling error and went up 23-18 before taking the set.
Senior Kylie Hohlen gave the Jennies a spark in the second set, landing four straight kills to give the Jennies an 8-7 lead. Washburn was unable to regain control of the match and sophomore Audrey Fisher gave the Jennies a 25-18 win on a kill.
The Jennies opened up the third set with a 9-6 lead, but the Ichabods took over with a 6-1 run and never looked back. The Jennies tried to rally down 18-15, but Washburn answered with six straight points and won the set 25-17 with a chance to finish the Jennies in set four.
Much like the third set, the Jennies started strong with an 8-5 lead. Washburn quickly retaliated with a 5-1 run to take a 10-9 lead. Both teams traded points through the midway point of the set until Washburn once again pulled away to take a 20-16 lead before taking the match with a 25-21 win.
“Our passing struggled a little bit, but as the setter I take a lot of responsibility for that,” Offerdahl said.
The Jennies were unable to answer Washburn’s defense which prevented many potential kills with 84 digs throughout the match. The Ichabods made strong recoveries when their hits were blocked by the Jennies, often turning them into second-chance points.
“They played really good defense and made it hard to put a ball in,” Skrastins said.
Hohlen followed up her career-high 19 kills from Friday with another 18 against the Ichabod, bringing her season total to 193.
Offerdahl picked up 48 assists and 10 digs. Skrastins put up a team-high 24 digs.
The Jennies hit the road again for three matches with William Jewell in a non-conference matchup, Missouri Southern and Southwest Baptist.
Their overall record is 12-4, but the Jennies sit in sixth place in the MIAA with a 3-2 record.
The Jennies match up with Jewell is scheduled at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Liberty, Missouri.