Theatre students excited about new professor

The University of Central Missouri has a new theatre professor.

Mary Trotter joined UCM after teaching at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington. Trotter’s new students said they were excited to have her as she takes on her first year at UCM.

Trotter previously taught acting and directing at Washington State University.

In addition to teaching at UCM, she is directing “Godspell” in the spring.

Trotter said she is excited about the new experiences she will have at UCM.

“It’s really fun to figure out where we are the same and where we are different. It’s also really fun to come in to a new setting because all of your stuff is new to them,” Trotter said. “You get used to playing different warm-up games and doing different exercises. When you meet a new group, everything is new… I am really excited to be working with new people and the UCM community.”

Students said they enjoy Trotter’s classes. They said she embraces students for who they are and wants them to get out of their comfort zones.

Eleanor Panico, a freshman musical theatre major, is a background dancer in the musical “Gypsy” in October.

“Being in class with Mary Trotter is a lot of fun,” Panico said. “If you didn’t know what acting was and walked in you saw the exercises we were doing, you would probably think we are crazy. It’s a good class to try new things and get out of your shell so you can do that on stage.”

Panico looks up to Trotter and appreciates everything she does for the theatre community.

“I like how she is okay with being who she is. She loves to teach. She loves what she does,” Panico said. “Her acting class is one of my favorite classes.”

Panico said Trotter is experienced in theatre.

“She’s gone to New York. She’s been an actor. She’s been a director. It’s really exciting to learn from someone who has been in the professional business successfully,” Panico said.

Seth Sneary, a fresman design tech major, said he realizes that Trotter has a goal of building a community.

“She is very outgoing,” Sneary said. “She is someone who is really trying to build a community in her class. She’s really trying to get people to break down their wall so you can become vulnerable to make lifelong connections. A lot of times in acting classes you just show up, get your script and leave. I really appreciate how much she is trying to build a community.”

Sneary said he likes Trotter’s teaching style and how rounded she is.

“She’s always looking for improvement and looking to see your best. She seems like the person who would know if you aren’t really trying. She’s a cool teacher.” Sneary said.

Trotter said she welcomes all students, not just theatre students, as part of her community-building plan.

“She is always trying to get people involved with theatre,” Sneary said. “She realizes that people have strengths and weaknesses in acting and it’s something to work on. Acting is not something you need to be a pro at, it’s just something you have to have a passion for. You have to have a passion for who you are trying to become.”

UCM will host Gypsy on Oct. 3-6 at 7:30 p.m. and also on Oct. 7 at 2 p.m. at the Highland Theatre.