Ambrose takes over Snapchat and answers the important questions

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – UCM’s Snapchat, ucentralmo, was full of answers to crucial questions lingering in students’ minds Monday.
President Chuck Ambrose took over the UCM Snapchat account to answer questions students had sent in through their own accounts. The questions varied in topics ranging from vacation destinations to tuition increases and reached over 1000 views between Facebook and Snapchat.
University Relations hosted the event and prompted Ambrose with the questions that were sent in. Ruth Dickson, the assistant director of marketing and promotions, and Sam Schleicher, the communications specialist, posted the snaps as Ambrose answered.
Is it true that there are underground tunnels around campus?
There are colleges such as State University of New York in Albany and Wright State University that have heated underground tunnels that help students get to class when the weather is bad. It seems that UCM doesn’t have any of these tunnels. Well, none that President Ambrose knows about anyways.
“If we do, no one has told the president, which is kind of a little disheartening to me,” Ambrose said. “If we did, that would be pretty cool. If I find out that we have them and no one has told me, it could be a bad day.”
Can we get the billboard on U.S. Highway 50 to say “Home of the Jennies?”
The Jennies’ sports teams have seen two sweet victories with the soccer and basketball teams both bringing home national championships in their most recent seasons.
Ambrose said he’s proud of the Jennies’ sports teams and it’s truly the Year of the Jens.
“We’re going to celebrate it in some special ways and make sure that recognition is out there,” he said.
Who controls when school is canceled because of weather?
Ambrose told the viewers on Snapchat there is a committee that works from Lee’s Summit and the Warrensburg campus to make the decisions before 5 a.m. on mornings that have questionable weather.
“They’re hard decisions, but it’ll start usually in Lee’s summit because weather comes from west to east, and between the provost, public safety, FPO and Lee’s Summit, we come together and make the best decision we can,” he said.
Ambrose also said the committee’s decisions aren’t based on what public schools do because there are different factors to consider and it’s a different dynamic.
How is our public safety, police and student teams equipped to deal with an active shooter or other violent threats? Are there any current changes in the works to make UCM a safer campus regarding these issues?
The University of South Alabama. Jackson State University. Central Michigan University. These are colleges that experienced a school shooting this past month.
Ambrose said public safety is the number one priority for campuses because there is a duty to keep a safe environment for all students.
“With all those tools coming together – campus eye, TextCaster, tabletop exercises, working with local law enforcement – campus security becomes a responsibility that we all share,” he said. “If you see something, say something, and we are going to continue to put resources, time and effort into making sure that we are equipped and prepared to keep campus safe.”
To download TextCaster, visit https://bit.ly/1jCm4GU and to learn more about Campus Eye, visit https://bit.ly/2E0bpru.
I’m graduating this year. What’s your advice?
Commencement is less than 40 days away, and it’s time for students to start thinking about what is next for them. Ambrose said commencement day is his favorite day on campus because it’s a celebration like no other.
“Always remember UCM as home, and then you can come back for help and assistance to connectivity,” he said. “Take what you’ve been given here and use it for the betterment of others, and you’ll make a difference in other people’s lives.”
I heard that some programs are going to be cut from the university next year. What’s up with that?
The university has been facing budgetary problems in the past year – that’s no secret. Ambrose said this question was very important and that the state’s fiscal challenges are having an impact on the university.
“One of our objectives is to preserve student experience and really protect academic programs and our faculty as much as we possibly can,” he said. “We may have some structural changes to administrative efficiencies, but the most important element is some really big changes coming to impact student success and investment to help you have a better experience while maintaining your cost.”
To learn more information or to ask Administration questions regarding the cuts, students can attend the open forum hosted by the Student Government Association 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 3 in the Elliott Student Union ballroom.