Son charged in mother's death

A Sedalia man was charged Saturday with second-degree murder in connection to the death of his mother.
Warrensburg officers were called to the 200 block of West Sparks Street Tuesday, March 20, after receiving information on a possible heart attack. Upon arrival, officers located Karen Miles dead inside the residence, according to a statement from Police Chief Rich Lockhart.

Cameron Miles, son of victim Karen Miles, was charged Monday afternoon with second-degree murder.

While questioning the occupants of the home, officers reported that one of the occupants of the home, identified as Cameron E. Miles, 30, had fresh scratches on his face.
When the coroner arrived, he noted the victim had been dead for several hours. An autopsy was conducted the following day, determining the victim had been strangled, according to police.
During the autopsy, nail clippings were taken from the victim. The nail clippings were taken the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Regional Crime Lab for processing. A swab of presumptive blood was located from a cut fingernail. The sample matched the DNA sample taken from Miles, according to police.
Cameron Miles was charged with murder following the investigation.
It was reported that Karen Miles and Cameron Miles had an argument the day prior about him not wanting to return to Four Seasons (assisted living), according to the probable cause statement. Officers later discovered a letter, written by Cameron, talking about wanting to be his own guardian and not taking medication, according to court records.
A case review hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, at the Johnson County Justice Center in Warrensburg followed by a preliminary hearing May 30.