Sports updates: Week 7

Redmond Named MIAA Player of the Week

Junior guard Paige Redmond was named MIAA Player of the week for Jennies basketball.
For Redmond, this is the second career Player of the Week award, in which she earned one from last season. In the Jennies last two games, Redmond averaged 23 points with four rebounds and six assists while playing 32 minutes on average per game.
UCM went 2-0 last week with wins over Lincoln and Lindenwood earning themselves a share of the MIAA regular season championship.
Redmond is the Jennies leading scorer this season at 17 points per game while shooting 45 percent from the floor and 37 percent from the behind the three-point line. She is also second in the MIAA averaging four assists per game.
The Jens will play their last game at home for Senior Night on Thursday, Feb. 22, against Missouri Southern; tip-off is scheduled at 5:30 p.m.

Mules complete three-game sweep against Winona State

Mules baseball were able to complete a three-game sweep Sunday afternoon with a 4-2 win at home over the Winona State Warriors.
Central Missouri had a slow start to the game as Winona State began scoring early in the top of the second inning. The Mules answered right away putting up three runs in the bottom of the second inning  – 3-1.
Winona State got closer in the third inning getting a run on three hits until UCM was able to get an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh with an RBI hit by Justin Graff-Rowe.
Mules Coby Siez and Luke Mercer pitched scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth to secure a victory over the Warriors and sweep the series.
The Mules continue this week’s ball play Feb. 23 against Missouri Western, with the game schedule for 2 p.m.

Jennies split two games on final day in Emporia

Sunday afternoon at Emporia State University the Central Missouri Jennies softball team was able to split a win over the Illinois-Springfield Pride Stars; but didn’t keep that same momentum in the second game.
In their first game, UCM was able to notch by with a victory over the Pride Stars. Both teams managed to score early in the game. The competition was a non-conference game, forcing the teams to go into an international tie-breaker rule. The eighth inning is when  Payton Summers came through with an RBI single to claim a win for the Jennies.
The second game resulted in a 5-0 shutout win for the William Jewell Cardinals over the Jennies.
It was a close game through the fourth inning. In the fifth, the Cardinals took control of the game when Phoebe Dabbour hit a three-run homer making the score 5-0. The Jennies were unable to come back.
Central Missouri is off this week; ball play will return for the Jennies Saturday, Mar. 3 with a rematch against the William Jewell Cardinals.