Talking Mules claim seven state championships

The Talking Mules Speech and Debate Team claimed seven state championships at the Missouri Association of Forensic Activities 2018 Championships on Feb. 15 to 17.
Members who claimed seven state championships are Matthew Briggs, top novice and state champion in After Dinner Speaking; Jaggard Williams and partner Ally Latham, state champion in Duo Interpretation; Jaggard Williams, top novice and state champion in Program Oral Interp; Ally Latham, state champion in Prose; Bobbi Gums, top novice in Impromptu Speaking; Tyler Slinkard, state champion in Impromptu Speaking; and Trenton Hawes, state champion in Novice Lincoln Douglas Debate.
The team won 27 individual trophies and titles. They finished second in Overall Sweepstakes behind Southwest Baptist University, second in Individual Events Sweepstakes and third in Debate Sweepstakes.
“We couldn’t be more pleased with the performance of the team. Several novices stepped up and filled the vacancies on the team we suffered from graduations last year. For a team this young, we really exceeded our wildest expectations,” said Jack Rogers, the director of forensics.
The team’s next competition will send five members to the United Kingdom for the Montgomery Cup. Then they will travel to OshKosh, Wisconsin, for the National Forensic Association’s National Tournament of Champions.
For more information email Jack Rogers at [email protected].