Employers reach out to students at BIG Career Expo

by Madison Preston & Hope Gardner / Reporters
The University of Central Missouri hosted the BIG Spring Career Expo Wednesday, Feb. 14, at the Multipurpose Building.
According to Joni Porter, the event coordinator of the expo, there were approximately 161 employers that came out to speak to students about future career options.
“It supports our Career Services mission of connecting students with employers and opportunities,” Porter said.
She also said around 700 students attended the event to connect with companies that could possibly give them job opportunities in the future.
William Stringer, an occupational safety major, said he was looking for a position in safety management or construction.
“Hopefully (I will find) an internship that leads to a full-time employment position,” Stringer said.
Jeremy Winder, a safety management major, said the career expo is beneficial for students.
“This is probably the best opportunity to get the most exposure options for employment and it’s face-to-face, so you get a lot more, or you can make a better impression when you talk face-to-face with employers,” Winder said.
Caleb Brown, a psychology major, said he went to the career fair to see exactly what is offered because he knows different degrees offer different opportunities.
He said he did a couple of different things to prepare for the event.
“I made a portfolio, went to the career services center, did my resume and cleaned my clothes,” Brown said.
The event has benefits for students who are undecided about what they want to do after college.
Katherine Silvers, a health studies major, said she went to the career fair to find an internship, but said she is undecided on her future plans.
“I plan on coming back and getting my Master’s, I just haven’t decided on what I want to get my Master’s in, whether it’s nutrition, or whether it’s my MBA in health administration,” Silvers said.
Graphics technician Sam Doty said he attended the event because it is important to their printing company, Stouse, to draw in students and tell them what they do.
“Adaptability is one of the things that I look for. Someone who has a general experience of the print industry is good. Somebody who is just kind of a go-getter and a team leader.” Doty said.
Buckle was also one of the companies that attended the expo. Tiffany Cochran, one of the representatives, said Buckle attends the expo every year.
“This is the fifteenth year we have been involved. We have found that UCM has well-rounded students.” Cochran said.
Nick Bateman, human resources manager at PepsiCo, said they are looking for students to fill both internships and potentially full-time roles
“We are specifically looking for folks with a sales-minded focus; might want to grow a career in sales and leadership; an interests in sales and have leadership capacity; or interested in growing a career within that regard,” Bateman said. “We decided we would come around and meet the students.”
Janet Adams, resident dining director for Sodexo, said the company does career fairs throughout the country to inform students about their company to show that there are multiple avenues in any industry.
“We really want to get the message out that Sodexo is not just food management. We have positions in marketing, IT, HR, corporate services and safety,” said Adams. “We have all kinds of disciplines and really want to get that information out to the students.”
Leah Kemple contributed to this report.