Unity Week brings speaker on mental health

Josh Rivedal, prior to his presentation, speaks about his life with depression and career in an interview.

Spotlight’s Unity Week is a week to celebrate the diversity in our UCM community through a week of events. Each event is designed to educate and celebrate the many unique aspects of our lives, according to a news release.
This year, Unity Week came to a close with guest speaker Josh Rivedal speaking on managing mental health in college Thursday, Feb. 8, in Hendricks Hall.
During an interview before his presentation, Rivedal said he knows he has saved lives by sharing his story.
“I’m talking about how to live mentally well and crush it in college. The way I am doing that is I’m talking about coping skills…mental health, and I’m sharing some of my own story,” he said.
Rivedal said he started his adult life as a professional actor and studied marketing and theater in college. He said he then began speaking at several universities and hospitals after being diagnosed with clinical depression, attempting suicide multiple times throughout his college career and overcoming his battle with addiction.
During his presentation, Rivedal said he had to overcome many obstacles in his life and it seemed as though he was born into a cycle of suicide after his grandfather and father had both taken their own lives.
“Before I started working on my mental health, I was a hot mess and not doing well, and I was struggling with addiction,” he said.
He was able to engage with the crowd during his presentation by asking what activities students do to cope with stress.
A student in the crowd raised their hand and said they box to manage stress and Rivedal responded by saying he also enjoys kickboxing and meeting with his therapist to help manage his stress.
With around 20 in attendance, students were engaged throughout the night.
“What I appreciated most was his willingness to share his story,” said Ritchie Cherry Sr., Wheatley Elementary School counselor and UCM graduate student, after the event.
Students with depression can visit the Counseling Center. The Counseling Center website says it is a safe place for students to begin addressing their concerns and is staffed by clinicians who are experienced in responding to a variety of personal and social issues.
For more information about Josh Rivedal visit his website at iampossible.com.
Anyone seeking help can call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.