Mulekickers place nationally at Disney World

by Mickelle Sleyster
The University of Central Missouri dance team the Mulekickers recently placed in the top 10 at the Universal Dance Association Nationals at the  ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Disney World.
The Mulekickers competed against 200 schools on Jan. 12, placing seventh in hip hop, ninth pom, and third in game day.
“Competing at Nationals is an experience I will never forget,” said Kylie Dillion, a sophomore squad member.
Dillion said the process was long and difficult leading up to Nationals. The Mulekickers attended camps, raised funds and practiced. The Mulekickers received second overall at dance camp in July, making them eligible for Nationals. The team also worked at Royals games to raise $20,000 for the trip.
Dillion said to build up for the two-day competition, they practiced for three hours three times a week and performed at games in between. The team learned the routines for Nationals over summer.
“The routines were recorded on a camera so the team could go back and watch them to confirm everyone looked the same,” she said.
She said managing games and practices could be difficult at times. However, she said the the team bonding and dynamics made it worthwhile.
Allyson Cook, a graduate student, said she enjoyed the experience.
“The energy was incredible,” she said. “There was nothing more uplifting than being surrounded by thousands of talented dancers.”
Cook said she had looked forward to competing at Nationals since she was a freshman.
“There is no better feeling of accomplishment than knowing you gave it all you had on the floor,” she said.
After completing the first day of the competition, the Mulekickers were chosen to compete in the new arena in Disney World for dance and cheer.
Ashley Perry, a senior squad member, was one of the few girls who got to cut the ribbon to the new arena.
Perry said she was happy to see cheer and dance getting the recognition it deserves. Perry joined the team as a freshman and said every year just gets better. She said her team is like a small family and extremely close.
“The coach’s ability to teach the girls has improved every year, making the team dynamic better,” Perry said.
All three women encouraged anyone with a love for dance to try out for the Mulekickers. Clinics are scheduled for March 25 and April 8 in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Room M 67A from 1 to 4 p.m. Official tryouts are set for noon April 15.
For more information, email head coach Tina Kent at [email protected].