Sports Updates 2/5/2018

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) –
Mules drop Houston Finale to Colorado Orediggers
Wrapping up the weekend did not go as planned for Mules baseball in the Winter Houston Invitational with a loss to Colorado-School of Mines Orediggers.
The Mules now stand with a record of 1-2 overall for season.
Both teams had a slow start to the game being scoreless through the first three innings of game play. In the fourth inning, the Orediggers finally got on the scoreboard with a home run by first basemen Jace Selsor to right field. The Orediggers continued to score in the next three innings.
Zach Girrens, a redshirt pitcher, started for the first time. Girrens played four innings while allowing two runs on four hits. He also had six strikeouts.
UCM had a chance to answer back in the bottom of the fifth inning, but failed to manage a run after shortstop Jackson Schnurbusch was called out at home plate on a ground ball. One of the best scoring opportunities of the day.
The Mules are set to return to Warrensburg for a six-game home stand, hosting
Colorado-Colorado Springs. The game starts at 12 p.m. Feb 9-11 at Tompkins Field.
Miller places sixth at Missouri Valley College Open for Mules wrestling
Sophomore Chase Miller earned a sixth place at Missouri Valley College’s match Tuesday at 285 lbs. weight class to lead Mules wrestling for the night.
Miller’s first loss came in his opening match as he was pinned in 3:48 to move into the consolation bracket. His first win by a way of pin over Davroy Atkinson of William Penn after losing his first match. Miller carried the momentum for the Mules into his next two matches and scored two wins via pinfall. Miller finish the night with 3-3 score.
Daide Agnew and Dakota Huss each finished the night 2-2 for the Mules at 133 lbs. weight class and 157 lbs. weight class, but didn’t place in the open.
Agnew was able to manage wins during his first two matches before falling short in his next two matches.
Huss’ first match was a shoutout defeat against Mason Holgand of Missouri Valley, who has a record of 5-0. In his second match, he lost to Courtney Strauss of Bethany.
Mules Defeat Redhawks by Nine to Secure Fourth Straight Win
Central Missouri Mules basketball was able to grab their fourth straight win in the MIAA conference play as they managed to take down the Northeastern State Redhawks with a score of 77-66 Saturday afternoon at the Multipurpose Building.
The Mules offense shot for 27-52 with a 51 shooting percentage from the field and the Red Hawks with 41 percent. UCM found success scoring inside the paint as they outscored Northeastern State by 12 point, from under the basket.
The Mules were able to manage a commanding lead by the half with an advantage over the Redhawks, 35-27. Seven of the nine Mules were able to put up points on the board in the first half led behind guard DJ Richardson who scored nine points in the first half, followed by forward Blake Spellman with eight points.
After the half, they improved their lead by 14 points to go up 45-31 over the Redhawks. The Mules finished off the game with six straight points scored by guard Spencer Reaves after the RedHawks went on a 14-4 run to put the Mules back 59-45 over NSU with the Mules never letting them get closer than nine points for the rest of the game.
The Mules finished the second half with a season-best shooting performance of 14-26 with a 53 shooting percent. Guard Clarence Smith finished the game with a career-high 17 points off the bench to lead the Mules in scoring and their 18th win of the season.
The Mules head back on the road to face against Pittsburgh State at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 7 in the Multipurpose Building.