Sports Updates Vol. 112 Issue 17

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) –
Mules complete comeback in Topeka
Facing a 13-point deficit at half time, the Mules basketball team caught fire and defeated the Washburn Ichabods 63-55 Jan. 27 in Topeka, Kansas. The Ichabods sat in first place of the MIAA, but have now suffered two losses in a week moving them into a tie with Northwest Missouri State for first.
The Mules found their shooting touch in the second half after an undesirable first half performance. The Ichabods used an 11-0 run early in the half to get control of the game and hold a 32-19 lead at intermission. The Mules came out of the locker room and immediately closed the gap with a 9-0 run. Ten minutes into the half, the Mules had outscored Washburn 23-6 and lead 42-38. Free throws clinched the game as the Mules went 9-10 down the stretch to complete the comeback.
Jakob Lowrance exposed the Ichabods’ defense scoring 20 points, 16 of which came in the second half and fueled the comeback. He finished one rebound shy of a double-double and shot an impressive 9-11. Matt Wilkinson scored 11 points that included a 9-10 performance at the free throw line.
The Mules start a three game homestand Thursday Feb. 1 against Central Oklahoma; tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
Jennies pick up 14th straight win
Sixth ranked Jennies basketball remained undefeated in MIAA play with a 72-63 win over Washburn Jan. 27. After trailing by a point in the first quarter, the Jennies overwhelmed the Ichabods outscoring them 22-8 in the second quarter.
Paige Redmond led the Jennies with 15 points and six assists. Sydney Skaggs scored 12 and added five rebounds, four of which came on the offensive side.
This makes it 14 straight for the Jennies and their lead in the MIAA is up to three games. They host Central Oklahoma Thursday to kick off a three-game homestand, tip-off is planned for 5:30 p.m.
Mules and Jennies enjoy success at track relays
Eight Mules made NCAA qualifying marks over the weekend at the Mules Relays. The Jennies took first place in 11 events and four women earned provisional qualifying marks.
Jesse Miller made the seventh highest high jump in UCM history clearing the 6 foot 11-inch bar, which was enough to take first. The Mules took five of the top six spots in the 60-meter dash with Akeemo Minot leading the way.
The Jennies dominated the throwing events. Amy Dorge and Ashlan Burton took first and second in the weight throw, both also earned provisional marks. The squad of Alliah McClendon, Grace Williams, Laia Gonzalez and Mariah Elmore won the 4×400 meter relay with a time of 4 minutes, 6.51 seconds, nearly 10 seconds ahead of the pack.
The Mules and Jennies will travel to Joplin for the Missouri Southern Lion Open Feb. 2 and 3.
Wrestling struggles in road duals
Mules wrestling were on the road for their first two duals this week. Sixth-ranked McKendree shut out the Mules 47-0 Jan 30. A forfeit in the 125-pound weight class set the tone for the rest of the night. In addition to the Mules failing to get on the board, Jesse Reser suffered an injury to his shoulder during a takedown.
Lindenwood defeated the Mules 40-4, Jan. 31. Allan Person scored the lone win for the Mules. Person’s match ended in a 12-3 major decision with him never trailing his opponent.
The Mules will be back in action Friday against Fort Hays State at home. The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. in the Multipurpose Building.