Mo' Monthly volunteers give back at survival house

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – UCM Volunteer Services will be hosting January’s Volunteer Mo’ Monthly 3-6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 29 at the Survival Adult Abuse Center.
Ja’Shonae Cooks, the graduate assistant for Volunteer Services, said volunteers will be helping clean up and sort the donations that the survival house has received.
“I know it can be a lot of work. For MLK Day last year, I went to the survival house to help them clean out donations, and it can pile up quickly,” Cooks said.
Volunteer Services was originally looking for 8-10 volunteers, but Cooks said they exceeded their volunteer goal and now have a total of 19 helping out at the survival house.
Volunteer Services sponsors a different community partner each month so that students interested in volunteering can get involved with the organization of their choice.
Cooks said she enjoys planning the Volunteer Mo’ Monthly events because not only does it get her closer to working in her desired field, but it also gives her the opportunity to give back to the community that supported her.
“I think it’s important to help all of our community partners out just because they do so much,” Cooks said. “The survival house provides us a space for women and children, and I think that’s something you just can’t live without. They add so much value to the community, so it’s great that we are able to give back and help them out.”
The deadline for January’s Mo’ Monthly has passed, but to get involved in the future, contact Ja’Shonae Cooks at [email protected].