President's open house coincides with Dickens Christmas

Photos by Naporsha: Williams Santa and his elves pose with the child of a UCM faculty member during the Holiday Open House. From left: Julianne Kufmann, junior, Courtney Abt, senior, Santa, and Annika Brunsvold.

Visitors arrive at the Achauer House Saturday, Dec. 2 for the UCM’s annual Holiday Open House hosted by President Chuck Ambrose and his wife, Kris. The home, donated to UCM by the late Maurine Achauer, now houses the university’s alumni and events offices at the corner of Holden and South streets.

President Chuck Ambrose and his wife, Kris, hosted their annual Holiday Open House on Saturday during the Dickens Christmas event in downtown Warrensburg.
The open house was hosted at the Achauer House at the corner of Holden and South streets.
“We just love giving the people of Warrensburg that holiday feeling,” Ambrose said.
Ambrose said organizing the event is not difficult.
“Many people look forward to this time of the year,” Ambrose said. “So finding help to set up for the event isn’t too hard to find.”
Marcy Bryant, Warrensburg tourism director, said the two events ran smoothly. Warrensburg Main Street’s Dickens Christmas featured artists displaying their talents in downtown shop windows.
“This event ties in the president’s holiday party,” Bryant said. “We have artists come out and bring the storefronts to light with their amazing designs.”
Bryant said there were many events for families to either join or enjoy watching.
“We have many things for families to do, especially with their children,” Bryant said. “We have wagon rides with horses, tree lighting, chestnut roasting and plenty more.”
Tiny Tim’s soup competition is a competition to see who has the best soup in Warrensburg.
“We try to have a little fun competition with our Warrensburg residents,” Bryant said.
Kristy Holden, of Warrensburg and a UCM graduate, said she enjoys the event each year.
“It gets me in the holiday spirits,” Holden said.
Holden said it’s nice to see the community come together.
“Being able to see people of Warrensburg getting together to help put this event together is always a exciting thing to see,” Holden said. “I feel that’s what the holidays are about – unity and coming together to celebrate.”
Katie Mullen, 9, of Warrensburg, said this was her first time coming to the open house and Dickens Christmas event.
“I liked riding on the carriage with the horses,” Mullen said.
She said she liked this event better than her classroom Christmas parties.
“They have horses to push us around, pretty lights to look around at and I got to play around with some kids who were my age,” she said.