Student volunteers assist Project Community Connect efforts

Hundreds of people recently came to the University of Central Missouri for dental work, haircuts, food and other services during the sixth annual Project Community Connect.
The event took place Nov. 10 at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center and was organized by many local organizations around the Johnson County community.
Liz Kostas, social worker and chair of Project Community Connect, said the purpose of the nonprofit event is to break down the barriers that keep people from getting all their needs met.
“Having lots of social services at one spot, hopefully they can get all their needs met in one day,” Kostas said.
Every year the turnout varies depending on needs. This year, guests began to line up at 7 a.m., two hours before the event started.
“We’ve had over 200 people come through here by noon already,” Kostas said.
Kostas said they offer free services such as haircuts, dental work, doctor visits, blood testing, vision screenings and more.
“They even have a kids zone so parents can get what they need to get done,” Kostas said.
She said there are no restrictions as to who can partake in the event.
“We do not do background checks or screenings on income verifications. We don’t care,” Kostas said. “It’s just simply open to everyone in Johnson County. If you have a need, we want you to come.”
More than two dozen volunteers served as guides and they are given guests throughout the day to help.
“Their main job is to help the guests prioritize their needs and maximize the hours that they are here,” Kostas said.
She said the guides help ensure the guests don’t become overwhelmed with the amount of services that are being offered.
Each guide volunteers for about four hours but with the amount of services provided for the guests.
Bethel Ezezew, junior social work major, said she enjoyed serving as a guide at Project Community Connect and building a positive relationship with her guest.
“My guest was an elderly woman, and she was the sweetest thing,” Ezezew said.
Mckenzie Burnett, junior majoring in social work, said she volunteered for a class but also for the experience. Burnett was assigned two guests throughout her four-hour shift at the event – a mother and a daughter.
“I talked to my guest about her life and we managed to find our way around the Rec Center to get her everything she needed,” Burnett said.
Burnett said after volunteering for Project Community Connect, she realized the needs of the community and how powerful Project Community Connect is for the residents of Johnson County.