Reindeer, food and games highlight Fun Before Finals

From left, Dahnae Meriwether, Daya Clinton and Destiney Nash sit to eat after grabbing some food. All three are freshmen at UCM.

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The Spotlight at UCM recently hosted an event that attracted hundreds of students who came for games, food and activities to relax before finals week.
Fun Before Finals took place Nov. 30 at the Elliott Student Union. Final exams at the university began Monday.
Kylie Thompson, vice president of marketing for Spotlight, said the purpose of the event was to get people to loosen up and relax before finals.
Students enjoying the event said the event does just that.
“Me and my friends come to this to relax a little before finals week,” Jordan Knutter, a freshman, said. “I learned about the event through Facebook and also some upperclassmen. I am really enjoying myself so far.”
Scout Miller, vice president of marketing for Spotlight, said Fun Before Finals has taken place every semester for about 20 years. Miller said there are more than 20 games and activities to enjoy, including a game room with an inflatable slide, two live reindeer, a craft room, a bingo room, karaoke, table pong, a movie, and more. The event also had free food for everyone in attendance.
“The spring semester is almost always a lot larger in attendance than the fall semester,” Miller said. “In the spring we can do more outside, and the weather is nicer. We are always happy with the turnout.”
Miller said the event attracted about 300 to 400 students in the earlier half of the night and she expected more as the night went on.
Miller said each semester the attendance fluctuates, but there have been crowds well over 1,000 students in the past.
Miller said Spotlight spent $5,000 on the event.
“Usually we go over budget with this event, but this year we did really good at spending just under the amount set in our budget,” Miller said.
Ashley Brocksmith, the MAD coordinator for Spotlight, said Fun Before Finals is Spotlight’s biggest event of the year and takes the entire Spotlight organization to plan.
The event takes place on the Thursday before finals week in the Elliott Student Union. The event typically is located in about seven Union rooms, connected by signs and a pathway to ensure students do not miss an activity during the event.

Photos by Tiera Walkenbach
Students attending Fun Before Finals wait in line for food and refreshments at the start of the event in the Elliott Student Union.

Comet and Cupid, two live reindeer brought in for the event, eat their food outside the Union. Many students gathered to see the reindeer and took pictures with them.

Lokesh Nalam, a recent graduate of UCM, lines up his shot in table pong. Table pong was one among over 20 activities.

From left, Kyndal Mullins, Jordan Knutter and Taylor Siebirt make use of the craft room during Fun Before Finals. All three are freshmen at UCM.

Casey Reeds, a graduate student with The Spotlight, works the popcorn machine for the event.