Jennies soccer change program history, wins national championship

PHOTO BY ANDREW MATHER / PHOTOGRAPHER Megan Woolley (pink Headband) is embraced by her teammates after scoring the first goal. The Jens would beat Mercy College 3-0 Thursday before going on to take the national championship against Carson-Newman Saturday afternoon.

Jennies soccer finishes the 2017 season undefeated at 26-0, winning their first-ever National Championship Saturday afternoon at Swope Soccer Villages defeating the No. 2 Carson-Newman Eagles 5-3 in a shootout after a 1-1 tie in regulation.

26 wins this season are not only the most in UCM ‘s program history, but the most in NCAA-II history, according to the UCM athletics website. The previous record was 25 wins set by Metropolitan State-Denver in 2004. The Jens 26 consecutive wins also tie the program record for overall consecutive wins.

UCM athletics will have a pep rally celebration for the National Champion Jennies soccer team at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 4, in the UCM Multipurpose Building.