Zeta Gamma seeking six pageant contestants

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The Zeta Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. is scheduled to host an informational Wednesday for women who are interested in competing in the spring 2018 Miss Black and Gold Pageant.
The informational is set for 6-7 p.m. in the Elliott Student Union, Room 233. Six women will be selected to compete in the pageant, which is scheduled for April 2018 in Hendricks Hall.
The pageant is a generational tradition for Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity chapters. The winner of Zeta Gamma’s Miss Black and Gold Pageant will serve as the chapter’s Sweetheart.
Ronald Cockrell, Zeta Gamma’s chapter secretary, said the Sweetheart’s role is to be a role model for the Warrensburg community.
The Sweetheart will complete community service projects with the organization as well as represent the chapter at the 33rd District level Miss Black and Gold Pageant. During that pageant, she will compete against Sweethearts from other colleges and universities, Cockrell said.
Zeta Gamma will pay the hotel and travel expenses for the winner and one other person, said DShawn Jordan, Zeta Gamma’s president.
The Zeta Gamma chapter competition will feature four segments: an introduction, talent, swimwear and evening gown. He said participates are responsible for purchasing any items needed or required for these segments.
There will be one winner who will be crowned Miss Black & Gold and two runners-up who will be crowned either Miss Gold or Miss Black, Cockrell said.
He said Miss Black and Gold will receive an educational scholarship valued between $500 and $1,000.
“We haven’t decided exactly how much we’ll be giving for the scholarship yet, but it’ll be worth it,” Cockrell said.
In order to qualify as a contestant, interested participates are required to be female, a UCM student and have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher.
Jordan said the date and time of the pageant and amount of the scholarship will be announced at the informational.
For more details, check the organization’s Instagram page @ucm_alphas.