Marketing specialist switches gears

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – A past UCM marketing specialist is taking charge as the tourism director of Warrensburg.
Marcy Bryant, was a senior marketing specialist in the University Relations department for 3 ½ years before taking the position as the tourism director at the Warrensburg Convention and Visitor’s Bureau this summer.
Bryant’s duties include creating advertisements, managing digital advertisements, managing WCVB’s website, assisting guests on the phone or in the office and representing WCVB on numerous committees.
Bryant worked for the city for almost 10 years prior to working for the Office of University Relations at UCM. She started in the city’s finance department as a finance assistance overseeing payroll.
“Working on the budget provided me the financial knowledge to manage the WCVB budget set by the WCVB Board,” Bryant said.
Bryant transferred to the Warrensburg Parks and Recreation Department after that where she was the marketing supervisor.
“I learned early in my position with WPR, marketing efforts must be evaluated for effectiveness or you could be wasting time and money,” Bryant said.
She joined University Relations where she assisted clients in developing content for brochures, view books, fliers and promotional pieces.
She also administered digital advertisements, managed the website content review process and assisted with events sponsored by University Relations such as Get the Red Out and the Learning to a Greater Degree Nominee Reception.
“My position with UR allowed me to get out of my comfort zone – what an incredible personal and professional experience,” Bryant said. “I worked amongst industry leaders who brought their knowledge and creativity to the team every day. The knowledge and skills I learned while being a part of an award-winning team followed me in my position as the WCVB’s tourism director.”
Sandy Irle, WCVB board member, works closely with Bryant on a variety of projects including budgetary work. Irle said she shares information for social media posts with her and tries to be supportive of Bryant in anyway she can.
“My interactions with Marcy are pleasant and exciting. Tourism is a challenging profession and can be very exciting and fun,” Irle said. “She is mature, capable, happy, positive, efficient, thoughtful, professional and knowledgeable. We are so fortunate to have Marcy in the position of director of tourism.”
Kirsti Brunsvold, the treasurer of the WCVB board and the assistant director of meeting and conference services, said she enjoys her time with Bryant.
“She’s very professional. She has a lot of energy and is excited to serve the UCM community,” Brunsvold said. “She has a passion for Warrensburg and the surrounding area.”
Bryant said tourism in Warrensburg is mainly day trippers or people visiting because of family, UCM and Whiteman Air Force Base.
“I see tourism growing as the WCVB continues to reach various audiences. The platforms we use will change, but our goals will remain consistent,” Bryant said. “The WCVB board is forward thinking and they understand tourism’s impact on our community’s economic  development.”
Bryant said this is an exciting time for Warrensburg and the WCVB because of its growth.
“Warrensburg is growing and we will continue WCVB’s momentum by sharing our history and charm. By sharing, we know others will have an incredible experience making memories and starting new traditions,” she said.