Congresswoman Hartzler to speak at ribbon cutting in Warrensburg

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler will be attending and speaking at the ribbon cutting of the Whitfield Leadership Center at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11.
Jim McNamara, the founder and executive chairman of the Whitfield Leadership Center, Inc., said the event was planned for Veterans Day because of Whitfield’s involvement in the Navy.
McNamara said Missouri Representatives Dan Houx and Dean Dohrman will be present and will present a proclamation from the state.
“Whitfield was a UCM alumnus that had a tremendous impact on the community,” McNamara said.
The learning center was established to honor the lifetime legacy of leadership of Jim Whitfield, who was a Warrensburg native and a UCM Distinguished Alumni.
“The Whitfield Leadership Center was a non-profit organization established on the training of student leaders,” McNamara said. “The center is setup to carry on his work with high school and college students and students in the community.”
McNamara said Whitfield played a big part in educating Warrensburg youth through the American Legion, Boys State and Phi Sigma Kappa.
Teresa Shane, the commander or of the Warrensburg VFW Post 2513, will be representing the post at the event.
“I think people get so busy with their lives that they forget how we got to where we are and we’re losing historical perspective,” Shane said.
She said the Veteran Day activities will be a good reminder for the community that our veterans are heroes.
“There are conflicts all over the world and our freedoms are protected by one percent of the American population, and people don’t realize that,” Shane said.
Richard Maxwell, one of the escorts with the American Legion riders, will be escorting Hartzler to and from locations throughout the day.
Hartzler will also be visiting the remodel and reopening of the American Legion.
“This is important because we’re honoring veterans that are serving as of right now and the legion is changing its direction,” Maxwell said.
Maxwell said the American Legion is moving toward having more involvement in youth programs in Warrensburg such as Boys State and youth sports.