Charges filed following crash, manhunt

One of two St. Louis individuals charged Wednesday following a traffic stop-turned-manhunt in Warrensburg told officers they were in a stolen vehicle and had been selling heroin in Springfield, Missouri, according to court records.

Jelani K. Warren

Kyle M. Moss

Kyle M. Moss, 17, and Jelani K. Warren, 24, were arrested Tuesday.
Moss was charged with the class D felony of possession of a controlled substance, a class E felony of unlawful use of a weapon, and the class E felony of resisting a lawful stop.
Jelani K. Warren, 24, was charged with the class B felony of first-degree burglary, misdemeanor stealing, the class E felony of resisting arrest, and the class D felony of tampering in the first degree.
Missouri State Highway Patrol Master Sgt. J.M. Toal attempted to stop a 2008 GMC Yukon traveling west on U.S. Highway 50 for lane violations. When Toal activated his emergency lights, the driver of the Yukon, determined later to be Warren, attempted to flee and passed another vehicle on the shoulder. Warren then turned north onto Northeast 201 Road where he wrecked, according to the probable cause statement for Moss.
Warren and Moss exited the vehicle and Warren then fled on foot. Moss exited the vehicle holding a black bag and a pistol, according to court records.
Moss told investigators that after leaving Springfield, he and Warren returned to St. Louis on Monday where they were involved in a shooting, according to court records. They were on their way back to Springfield in the stolen Yukon to exchange it for another stolen vehicle. Moss told Toal the substances found in the console of the vehicle were either heroin or cocaine, according to court records.
After fleeing the site of the attempted traffic stop, Warren was apprehended by Warrensburg Police around 1 p.m. at a residence in the 1500 block of Park Avenue, just north of Arwood’s furniture in Warrensburg. The resident of the home called police after finding a liquor bottle in a closet. The police searched the house and found Warren in a utility closet, wearing several items he attempted to steal from the home, according to the probable cause statement for Warren.
Warren is a persistent offender, having pleaded guilty in July 2012 to second-degree burglary and first-degree tampering.
Moss had a case review hearing set for Wednesday afternoon. No hearings were scheduled for Warren as of Wednesday.
Both are being held in the Johnson County Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond each.
A class B is punishable by up to 15 years in prison. A class D felony is punishably by up to seven years in prison. A class E felony is punishable by up to four years in prison.