Mules wrestling starts the season at home

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Mules wrestling opens up their season by hosting the UCM Open on Nov. 4 and Wrestling head coach Justin Ensign explained that this is the season for Mules fan to take an interest in the sport.
“It’s probably one of the hardest and most demanding sports out there,” Ensign said. “Just to be mediocre you have to put in a lot of work.”
While Mules wrestlers put in hard work every season, there are specific aspects to be excited for this season. For example, the Mules recently recruited a class of 20 wrestlers into the program, several of whom Ensign sees taking prominent roles on the team.
Trenton Lieurance, a 285-pound freshman from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, was among the newcomers that Ensign mentioned could have a long-lasting impact on the team.
“He’s someone who, over his career, we expect a lot from,” Ensign said. “He was ranked in the top-20 in pretty much every poll across the country, so that’s a big recruit for a school like ours.”
Freshman Tyler Flood from Gardner, Kansas, was also among the freshmen that Ensign mentioned. Both Flood and Lieurance, however, may not see competition immediately. Flood was recently injured and although he was cleared to play, Ensign explained that Flood’s debut could be postponed as an extra precaution. Lieurance is also battling injury and his debut remains to be determined.
The Mules also recruited several wrestlers that transferred to UCM. Ensign placed an emphasis on junior Shea Conley from Sapulpa, Oklahoma, redshirt junior Dylan Bollinger of Pinon Hills, California, and redshirt sophomore Brent Newcomer from Baltimore Maryland.
“Those are some guys that should factor into our lineup,” Ensign said. “They’ll definitely help our team, and I expect a lot from them individually as well.”
While the Mules have an abundance of fresh talent that they are assimilating into their program, there are also returning wrestlers that are poised to lead the team this season.
One the most notable returning wrestlers is Jesse Reser. The 174-pound sophomore finished 29-9 last season with 12-2 dual record. He placed second in the MIAA Championships last season at 165 pounds.
“He’s fun to watch,” said Ensign. “I think if you’re going to come out and watch, then he’s the one you want to watch. Win or lose you know he’s always going to compete to the best of his abilities. He makes you earn it and doesn’t quit.”
Reser and the rest of the Mules wrestling team will see their official competition of the year at 10 a.m. Nov. 5 at the Multipurpose Building.