Mental fitness workshops focuses on building resilience

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Student Activities and the UCM Counseling Center recently partnered to host a series of mental health workshops on campus.
The first event, called Mental Fitness, was designed to help strengthen skills for managing life’s changes as students navigate through college.
The event took place Oct. 16 at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Liz Cassidy, psychologist with the Counseling Center, presented several mechanisms for coping with failure, becoming more resilient, and having the grit to be successful.
The workshop also covered 10 steps to building resilience.

• • Make connections that emphasize building strong connections with family and friends for support.
    •Avoid seeing crises as insurmountable problems.
    • Accept that change is a part of life.
    • Move forward toward your goals, which leads to taking action to fix problems rather than wishing they would go away.
    • Look for opportunities for self-discovery.
    • Nurture a positive view of yourself.
    • Keep things in perspective by considering stressful situations in a broader perspective.
    • Build resilience is maintaining a hopeful outlook, which can be done by remaining optimistic and visualizing what you want rather than worrying about what you fear.
    • Take care of yourself, pay attention to your own needs and feelings, and engage in activities that you enjoy and find relaxing.Cassidy said the first step to overcoming failure is learning to accept failure for what it is. Many students feel depressed or defeated after failing, especially when it comes to college.Three students attended the event and shared their experiences about emotional stress and life in college.The Counseling Center is staffed by clinicians who are experienced in responding to a variety of personal and social issues.“A student who comes to the Counseling Center receives a free initial consultation and individualized recommendations,” said Jennifer Dene, office professional at the UCM Counseling Center.
    The counseling center offers a variety of services, including initial consultations, emergency services, referrals, Mental Fitness workshops, Safe Zone workshops, and consultations and outreach programs.
    Metal Fitness classes are held in the SWRC classroom Mondays and Thursdays from 3 – 4:30 p.m. For more information, call the Counseling Center at 660-543-4060.