Spotlight hosts Let's Talk on Domestic Violence

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The University of Central Missouri’s Spotlight hosted a Let’s Talk event Tuesday, Oct. 5, to discuss the warning signs and solutions for domestic violence.  
This was the third Let’s Talk event of the semester. More than 10 students joined the discussion in the middle of the Elliott Student Union at Café Rouge. They all received free medium drink vouchers for Jazzman’s Café.
Casey Reed, graduate assistant of diversity, hosted of the event. He began the discussion by introducing the topic. Reed said he had done his research prior to the event and found some great tools and information from the National Domestic Violence Hotline website. He asked students how they defined domestic violence. They all mentioned physical abuse, but Reed explained to them that there is more to it.
Domestic violence, also known as intimate partner violence, is a pattern of behaviors used by one partner to maintain power and control over another partner in an intimate relationship.
Everyday there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide, according to the National Coalition against Domestic Violence.
Domestic violence includes behaviors that physically harm, arouse fear or prevent a partner from doing what they wish or force them to behave in ways they do not want. It includes the use of physical and sexual violence, threats and intimidation, emotional abuse and economic deprivation, according to the National Domestic Violence Hotline.
Reed read off facts from the timeline of the battered women’s movement. He said that he believes the feminist movement and women’s empowerment has had a lot to do with the change in the legal system when it comes to the laws against domestic violence.  
“In 1994, the Federal Violence Against Women Act created the first legislation acknowledging domestic violence and sexual assault as crimes and provided federal resources to encourage coordinated community responses to domestic violence,” Reed said.
With this discussion he said he really wanted students to see how difficult it can be when communicating about domestic violence in relationships.
“If you see something, say something. You can report domestic violence to the UCM Counseling Center, Green Dot and Title IX. They can also give you advice on how to appropriately deal in those situations,” said Reed.
As the discussion came to an end, Reed opened the floor for students to share advice with their peers who may be dealing with domestic violence or knows of someone who is.
“I’ve had a lot of family members in domestic violence situations and lot of women don’t see it as violent,” said sophomore Debra O’Reilly. “You should be careful how you tell them because they will push you away.”
Lydia Coffin, a freshman, had another piece of advice. She reminded students to pay close attention to how a person speaks or says things that they dislike in a relationship because it can help determine if they or their friend is in an abusive relationship.
“I don’t like you wearing makeup because I don’t like people looking at you,” said Coffin. “That’s a sign because they’re trying to control you.”
Next month’s Let’s Talk will be held Thursday, Nov. 2, at Café Rouge. The event will focus on issues surrounding mental health of veteran’s.
For more information or to suggest future discussion topics, contact Casey Reed at [email protected].