Let's Talk: Societal Changes

(Warrensburg, MO) – The University of Central Missouri’s Spotlight hosted a Let’s Talk event Tuesday, Sept. 5, to provide students with an opportunity to discuss how America has changed over the past 16 years.
About 17 students attended the event in the middle of the Elliott Student Union at Café Rouge. Only two of those students had attended a Let’s Talk event before.
Prior to the start of the event Casey Reed, graduate assistant of diversity and host of the event, handed students free drink vouchers for Jazzman’s Cafe. Students returned back to a circle of couches and chairs ready to get the discussion started after going to Jazzman’s to get tea and coffee.
Reed introduced himself and explained to students why the event had been organized. He said Let’s Talk is open to all students and was designed for students to have a place where they feel open, comfortable and relaxed to talk about topics that may come up in and or out of the classroom that people often avoid.
The topics could include things happening on campus, in Warrensburg, or nationally.
This month’s topic was focused on America itself. Reed led the discussion by asking students “How have major events in America shaped our society?
“For example, the 911 terrorist attack has changed the way we go through security checks at the airport now. How does this make you feel”, Reed said.
Students were hesitant to respond, but junior, Zak Davlin broke the ice.
“I think it’s a positive thing when going on a plane it makes me feel safer. I don’t think it’s too much”, said Davlin.
Reed also mentioned how the attack has built a perception that people from the Middle East are here to harm Americans.
A female student expressed how she agreed with his statement. She said that when she spends time with her friend from the Middle East in public they often get awkward and discouraging looks from Americans.
As the discussion continued The Great Recession was the next major event on the topic. Reed said the great recession has had an impact on how citizens vote.
“Voters who had resentment against the Great Recession leaned more towards Bernie Sanders or Donald in the polls”, Reed said.
However, freshman, David Craig had a different opinion.
“You can’t tell the difference between a republican and a democrat now days. They vote the same, they act the same and they talk the same. A vast difference from back in my day”, said Craig.
The discussion lasted for 45 minutes and concluded after Reed opened the floor for students to discuss anything that may have been missed.
Let’s Talk is held once a month at Café Rouge. For more information or to suggest future discussion topics contact, Casey Reed at [email protected].